Pages

Chapter 1 - Interpersonal Communication



 Interpersonal Communication

Interpersonal Communication is defined as "A dynamic form of communication between two or more people in which the messages exchanged significantly influence their thoughts, emotions, behaviors, and relationships." (Chapter 1, p. 9). 

I never considered myself someone who needs or wants to communicate with people until I started working. My first job was working for a catering business where we were encouraged to engage with customers and get to know who they are as people, so we are seen as more of guests than a business. 

Having to cater multiple events a week allowed me to flip a switch in my head to become social and communicate with people at these events. Throughout these events it made me realize that not everyone likes or wants to be talked to and they seem to lack communication altogether. 

The deeper I dive into interpersonal communication, the more I realize I am not a part of the group of people who either lack communication or hate it altogether. I love to talk to people even if it's about the most mundane topics, I find enjoyment in interacting with my peers, coworkers, friends, family, etc.

Interpersonal communication is something I look forward to every day, as I feel a day without talking to someone is a day that I'm not myself. Catering events where for the most part everyone there is celebrating a special time in their lives made me realize that communication is more than just talking to someone, it's how you become welcomed into others' worlds.



No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com